Friday, May 17, 2013

The Pretty Okay Gatsby



So I just got home from seeing The Great Gatsby! I have to say, it was pretty good. Being someone who counts Moulin Rouge! as one of her top 10 favorite movies ever, admittedly the fact that it was directed by Baz Luhrmann is what had my butt in the seat.


Now, I've never read the book, so the end was a complete surprise to me. Perhaps that's why my overall review is so positive. Not knowing what was coming is what kept me completely interested, so I can see how knowing the whole story may make the movie drag more than it does. Let me know if I'm wrong... or just let me know what you think. It seems most people I talk to haven't cared for it much at all. Not that their opinions should be dismissed; Leonardo Dicaprio's performance as Gatsby seemed forced and a little uncomfortable to watch at times. Toby McGuire was the biggest creep through the whole thing, constantly watching Daisy and Gatsby behind bushes. And in general the whole thing could have been at least 30 minutes shorter. There were several times that I caught myself wanting to check my watch.

Having said that, there were also so many wonderful things about it! Carry Mulligan was absolutely flawless. For those Moulin Rouge! fans, you'll be swooning over the scenery and oddball camera angles. And the music! I don't know how they pulled off playing a Jay Z song in the 1920s', but they totally did and I loved it. And I don't even love Jay Z; but I DO love Florence + the Machine and The XX, and wouldn't you know that there are tastes of those jewels in there too.

I'm not a party girl, not even the slightest bit, but the party scenes were so gorgeous and exciting that right now all I want to do is go to that Gatsby mansion with my fringiest dress on and Charleston my heart out.

Goodnight, Old Sport.


Don't forget to Follow my blog with Bloglovin!

No comments:

Post a Comment